Saturday, 7 May 2011

Ashokan Farewell

Ashokan Farewell

This is a video taken from an excellent series simply called, The Civil  War.  The images and music really reflect the times of the people and their hearts and souls. I guess that's why I love the series so much. It's more then just facts and war strategies.
This video is just one very small part of the series. The name of the tune being played in the background is called, Ashokan Farewell. The music is use quite a bit throughout the series. It sweeps me to the past. Everytime I hear it, I can almost feel the air and smell the scents of that era. I can picture a different time with no cars, less buildings,  more countryside, and people dressed in long dresses and heavy overcoats.
Because of the music and narration I can see into their hearts and know without a shadow of a doubt the bittersweet ache they endured, from leaving their families, battling their own countrymen and sometimes their relatives, and facing death; all for a cause they believed in.
All wars are sad and have their stories. All wars are tragic. But there is a nobleness with in them. A heart. A soul.
So as you listen to this piece, think of the depth of love this man felt, the heaviness on his heart as he wrote this letter.  
Thank you.

9 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting this Kallista. I think the song goes well with the video. I think that all war stories end in sadness, there's no such thing as a happy war. Again, thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. :O thats to sad

    :'(

    "if the dead can come back to this earth and flit around those they love, i will be with you on the brightest day and the darkest night..."

    beautiful...

    ReplyDelete
  3. ... The first part... this little song...
    We sang a song on it at school. About learning how to read... ^^

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a moving and beautiful letter.

    Soul touching.

    "if the dead can come back to this earth and flit around those they love, i will be with you on the brightest day and the darkest night..."


    Love those words...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I thought you might Octa. :)
    This man sounds lke he was a poet too. Shame he had to die on the battlefield.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So sad. Stories of wars always make me cry. This letter is so moving and heartbreaking.

    ReplyDelete
  7. OCTABOONA!

    I finished writing up the Blogger's Epic Dictionary!

    Can you please put it in side bar on TEGI? I'll post it here so you can just copy+paste, but not until you answer back to this comment-i don't want anyone to read it yet, it'll spoil it.

    I've posted this comment at my blog as well, in case you missed it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I answer back to your comment!

    Post! Post!

    Wait actually I might not be on for a while so I'll give you admin

    ReplyDelete